Tuesday, March 18, 2008

My Sucky Week...That ended in the greatest day of my life

Wow, it has been well over four months since I have posted a blog (shame on me!) and I guess I have just been uninspired...ok who am I fooling...I've just been LAZY. But all of that shall come to an end, because, literally, the greatest day of my life has just happened. My fiance' asked me to be his wife. Now, you're probably thinking this is going to be one of those super mushy, super disgustingly sappy blogs that makes you dry heave just thinking about it. That's not the case, here. It's more or less about the drama leading up and into to this blissful day. Despite the smiles and happy tears in the pictures, A LOT else was going on with me.

I had the flu. Not a cold with "flu-ish" symptoms that you kind of get over in a couple of days. I had that full blown, knock you on your ass and bring everyone else down with you flu. So the whole week I am sleeping and working and eating and popping pills (wash, rinse repeat). I'm aware that my birthday is coming up that Friday but as far as I know we're just going to dinner and maybe a party on Saturday.

Friday gets here and I am absolutely DETERMINED to get better. I get some prescription meds (the good ISH) and take that before I lay down to rest before going to dinner. An hour passes and I become fast friends with the loo. My stomach is hard as a brick...ok maybe not a brick but...well you now what i mean! It's just hard! And i can barely walk. Pain isn't even a word to describe what I am feeling. But being the greedy black that I am, I am still willing and determined to get some Italian food...at least that i can take home in a doggy bag. We drive all the way to Chevy Chase for dinner. I am in the passenger seat in tears from the pain. And anyone who has hurt badly enough knows that you go off in a zone and you're completely oblivious to anything else around you. We finally get there...and I'm limping, slightly hunched over behind him as I follow him upstairs. POWWWW!!!!!!!! I see my parents....is that Derrick? Holy Sh*T it is! Charles and Travis is that you?? Travay??!! Sam!! (ok you get the point)..I'm so shocked to see everyone I love in one room that I drop my purse, start backing up and ultimately break down in tears (think "I'm comin' to ya Elizabeth!"). I mean the ugly boo hoo crying face break down. My mom had to send for me. This dude threw me a straight up SURPRISED PARTY! A party with open bar I might add. And Food. And Dessert. None of which i was really able to enjoy. It's the craziest situation to mentally be at 110% and physically be at 15%. I had the best time..me and my superhard, supercramped up stomach. And then of course there is the surprise engagement (it just won't stop!). Crying starts back up again...leading to a headache. Supercrampy stomach + super throbby head. As my spirits sour, my body inwardly crashes. It's the strangest dichotomy. No one can tell any of this is going. There's definitely something to be said for mind over matter...

So the point is to say that, despite what everyone saw, I was physically in one of the worst conditions I've been in a long time. But that my fiance' was able take what could have been my worst day made it into the best day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was at your party and I had no idea that you felt that way. It is strange how your emotional state can take over. Love You