Monday, October 1, 2007

I got music on my mind....

I am so excited I can hardly contain myself. It's such an exciting and invigorating time for music these days! There have been quite a few quality albums to drop over the past few months, including Finding Forever, Eardrum, Graduation, and the highly anticipated The Real Thing: Words and Sounds Vol.3 (I'll discuss her later). I originally was going to start off talking about music in general and throw in a couple of my honorable mentions. But I'm absolutely ecstatic about the new Keyshia Cole album Just Like You, and I'm compelled to use up my personal space to talk about her for a few reasons. The first reason is that her album is just DOPE! The music is amazing (her producers did the damn thang), the beats are hot, her voice is beautiful, and she does a great job at bringing a since of realness and vulnerability to her songs. She amazing at what she does, and what she does is bring heart and soul to her lyrics. Keyshia wrote all of the lyrics on this album and her voice conveys the set of emotions that are associated with her lyrics. The second reason I want to talk about her is because she does not get nearly the Kudos or exposure that she deserves. I honestly believe that with time she will be the next MJB. Yeah I said it. She has heart and she has talent. I honestly don't know anyone else on the scene right now that brings the integration of soul and hip-hop like she does. With some professional development (she needs to check her attitude sometimes, lol), a label change, and someone who truly can work to get her some decent gigs (106th and Park ain't IT) she can become a superstar. GET HER ALBUM!

I also listened to the new Jilly Album, The Real Thing: Words and Sounds Vol.3 . It's hot stuff. It's not anything we haven't heard before, but the music is certainly enjoyable. She brought a whole new meaning to sex with this joint. I couldn't believe my precious ears....but I won't lie...that ISH got me hot. It's definitely worth adding to the collection. But don't expect any songs like "Lyzel in E Flat" or "Cross My Mind"...they're not there. But there's a whole lotta baby makin' music to keep you preoccupied.

And last but not least, I am TOTALLY DIGGIN' Lupe's sarcastic jab at the retarded music industry. "Dumb it Down" is fiyah and he's doing us true music heads all a favor by shouting from the roofs everything all of us want to say to the corporate execs that insist on feeding us garbage. The Cool comes out soon...it will be mine when it drops.

No comments: